I'm currently a Research Software Engineer on the Skye and Programming Language Foundations for Trusted Data Science projects at the University of Edinburgh School of Informatics, working with James Cheney. My research interests centre around typed functional programming languages, in particular functional approaches to concurrency, web programming, and data management. I'm currently working on language-integrated query for temporal data.
Previously, I was a PhD student in the Centre for Doctoral Training in Pervasive Parallelism at the University of Edinburgh, supervised by Sam Lindley and Philip Wadler. I've worked at OCaml Labs and IntelliFactory.
Feel free to get in touch: you can reach me at simon.fowler -at- ed.ac.uk or simon -at- simonjf.com.
I am generally happy to act as an external reviewer for papers matching my research interests, provided that I can see other reviews and participate in the discussion after submitting my review.
- (29th July 2020): I'll be serving on the LIVE 2020 PC. Please consider submitting (deadline: 4th September 2020).
- (12th June 2020): Excited to announce that in September, I will be joining the University of Glasgow School of Computing Science to work on session types for distribution-friendly programming paradigms.
- (9th April 2020): Model-View-Update-Communicate: Session Types meet the Elm Architecture has been accepted to ECOOP 2020!
- (11th February 2020): Language-Integrated Updatable Views, with Rudi Horn and James Cheney, has been accepted for the IFL 2019 post-proceedings!
- (11th February 2020): I will be serving on the ICE 2020 programme committee. Please consider submitting a paper!
- (24th October 2019): Delighted to have been chosen as an OOPSLA AEC Distinguished Reviewer!
- My First Artifact: An author's perspective on the POPL'19 Artifact Evaluation process
cmm_of_wasm: From WebAssembly to Native Code via the OCaml Backend
- Session types in programming languages---a collection of implementations
Comments on drafts are always very welcome!
- LIVE 2020 (Programme Committee)
- ICE 2020 (Programme Committee)
- ProWeb 2020 (Co-chair)
- ICE 2019 (Programme Committee)
- OOPSLA 2019 (Artifact Evaluation Committee) (Distinguished reviewer award)
- PLACES 2019 (Programme Committee)
- Scottish Programming Languages Seminar (SPLS), 11th October 2017 (co-organised with Craig McLaughlin)
- Scottish Programming Languages Seminar (SPLS), 21st October 2015 (co-organised with Sam Lindley and James McKinna)